Friday 6 November 2009

First Impressions

Most of you have probably already read this thanks to my wonderful mom and the power of forwarding, but I thought I would post my old emails so that I can keep all of my Belfast notes in the same place.

I have been in Belfast for little over a day now and am wondering what I did to deserve this living situation with Sisters Myra and Bridget. Must have been something awfully good. Though I might not say that if I ever have a man to bring home—Myra has already told me that they will all be dying to catch me, but they will have to go through her first. Great. Probably worse than meeting my father would to be to take a guy back to meet my two nuns. I am already coming to understand how different the two are. I met Myra first and was worried that if both sisters were like her, I would gain 50 lbs and never feel like an adult. Luckily Bridget views things differently. Myra seems to believe A) I am “a growing girl” B) I have the appetite of a 18 year old boy, and C) Half a 6 inch quiche, fries, some salad, and a piece of apple pie with cream is not a lot of food, hardly anything in fact. This is how a typical Myra and me conversation around food goes: Myra “Would you like a piece of toast” me “No thanks” Myra “Do you not like toast Becky” Me “I like toast, I’m just very full” Myra “Oh bless you child, you have hardly eaten anything....Do you like cheese Becky?” Me “Yes I love cheese” Myra “Would you like a cheese sandwich?”

Or like the other night before church, luckily I had been able to make my own dinner which I thought was perfect, balanced and filling. After church Myra, knowing that I had already eaten, starts offering to make me things. “Do you want some eggs?” “No, I think I will just have some tea and a piece of tart (pie)” “oh but that is not enough, do you want the other half of this quiche?” “No I am not really hungry” “Well you must have a banana” I finally agree to eat the friggin banana. “There’s a good girl, you must get 5 fruits a day” Oh jaysus (see I am learning to speak Irish), have I been demoted to little girl?

I think Myra at least will continue to show her love by trying to force feed me every three hours and to channel all stereotypical maternal instincts into the care/protection of, and doting on me. I came out of the bathroom last night on my way to bed, but was unfortunately caught by Myra who wanted me to go greet Sister Bridget who had just gotten home. As soon as Myra sees me in my pjs (which in my defence look nothing like pjs really, just comfy clothes) she exclaims “Oh look at the wee girl in her jammies. All you need is a teddy” ...Wtf, seriously? My own mother never treated me like that, for heaven’s sake grandma never treated me like that. I was a little too shocked to hear what she said next properly, but I believe she was offering me the use of a blue teddy bear she has upstairs. I did not dignify that with a response.

Well there is one blessing living with the two sisters, I will never go hungry.

1 comment: